Tuesday, March 10, 2009

With a little help from Wendy

Today was the first day that I was able to really go through the material I am researching at the Trentoniana Room in Trenton Public Library and feel like I was making any headway. Wendy, the curator, has been vigorously going through the unorganized boxes of files left behind by the last members of the Trenton Committee for Unity, and putting them in some kind of order, chronologically as well. Before today I felt like I was going through a stack of papers 10 feet high that someone knocked over and told me to clean up.

The more I learn about this organization, the more excited I get to study what they did, who they were, and what their influence was in other places dealing with integration. They made connections with the NAACP, National Urban League, along with many other politicians and important people such as Eleanor Roosevelt. For a group that was so influential in New Jersey's capitol, it amazes me that there is no longer any notable public recognition for the good they did for the minorities of Trenton in the 1940s and 1950s. They set an example for the rest of the country at a time when they were needed most.

It will be interesting to see where this paper takes me over the next month and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment